Note: Information provided on this page is for general education only, growth of baby inside womb depends upon many factor and growth of your baby may differ slightly than indicated below, please seek medical assistance when in doubt.
In 2nd month of pregnancy ...
Pregnancy month two starts at (pregnancy) week 5 till week 8, it includes few days from week 9 as well. The baby will grow to average length of about ¾ inch or 1.6 centimeter measured Crown to Rump (CR) weighing about 0.04 ounce or 1 gram towards the ends of this month.
In 1st week of this month (pregnancy week 5)
- The gastrointestinal tract, spinal cord, heart, brain, blood and blood vessel begins to form.
- The embryo is about the size of an orange seed or a nail-head and can just be seen on an ultrasound. It is now possible to differentiate between the head and the tail of your baby.
- Baby's heart begins to beat.
- The baby looks like a tadpole and has a primitive heart which has already started beating and circulating blood around its little body.
- Your baby's brain and spinal cord are forming but are still open.
- Baby will grow to average length of about ¼ inch or 4 to 6 mm Crown to Rump (CR) towards the ends of this week.
In 2nd week of this month (pregnancy week 6)
- Baby looks like a little tadpole, all head, little body and small buds where the legs will be formed.
- The heart begins to pump blood, and the neural tube that will become the spine closes. The embryo takes on a C-shape; arm and leg buds begin to form; and the skin is translucent.
- The heart is bulging from the body and circulation is well established. Baby’s heartbeat can be seen on a vaginal ultrasound, beating at around 80 BPM.
- The larynx starts to form as does the inner ear. The lining of the placenta begins to develop but the placenta will take over production of the hormones in week 12.
- Limb buds appear and the primordia of the liver, pancreas, lungs, and stomach are evident.
- Baby's jaw, chin and even cheeks starts to form, tiny as they are, they will only grow bigger from this week on.
- Baby will grow to average length of about ⅓ inch or 7 to 9 mm Crown to Rump (CR) towards the ends of this week.
In 3rd week of this month (pregnancy week 7)
- The head is about ⅓ the size of the entire embryo.
- Brain and face are developing rapidly, back of baby’s head is growing faster than the front, and nostrils and lenses of the eyes begin to form. Mouth and tongue are starting to form.
- Baby’s bones are beginning to form, as well as their facial features now becomes more recognizable.
- Arm buds become paddle-shaped, hands and legs begin to form though they still look like paddles, flapping around from the side of their chest and the hand plates become present.
- Baby’s sex glands are starting to form, the genital tubercle is present, but baby boy or a baby girl is not distinguishable yet by sight. Nasal pits are forming.
- Baby's growth is concentrated on their brain this week and around 100 new brain cells are forming every minute.
- Baby will grow to average length of about ½ inch or 8 to 11 cm Crown to Rump (CR) towards the ends of this week.
In 4th week of this month (pregnancy week 8)
- Baby can officially be called a fetus.
- The baby's hind brain is clearly visible and brainwave activity starts. Lungs, ears, eyes, upper lip and nose starts to form.
- Baby's gonads will become either testes or ovaries.
- Toe rays become present, almost ready for you to count; there are small definitions on their paddle like feet and hands where their toes and fingers will be. Fingers and toes begin to form and are webbed. Elbows appear and the process of ossification or hardening of the bones begins.
- Baby is finally losing its little tail, but has a big forehead and a little body. In the next few weeks the body will lengthen and those limbs which were so tiny now will grow and take shape.
- Baby develops a tip on the end of its nose. Its fingers, toes and lips, eyelids and legs are becoming more clearly defined. Its eyes look to be positioned very far apart and more to the side of their face than where they will eventually be.
- Valves in baby's heart are now present and the passages which will help air flow from their throat to their lungs have formed.
- Baby is making little involuntary movements, though these are so small you won't be even conscious of them. It is still in a C shape, similar to a kidney bean but flickers and jumps around inside your uterus. The body is beginning to straighten, and subtle movements begin.
- Baby will grow to average length of about ¾ inch or 1.6 centimeter Crown to Rump (CR) and weighs about 0.04 ounce or 1 gram towards the ends of this week.
|◄ Fetal Growth in Previous Month
|Fetal Growth Next Month ►
|Fetal Growth in ...