Note: Information provided on this page is for general education only, growth of baby inside womb depends upon many factor and growth of your baby may differ slightly than indicated below, please seek medical assistance when in doubt.
In this week ...
- Baby is now twice the size it was just 3 weeks ago and is the same size as a ripe plum. The baby face begins to look more like human. Baby from this week onward are mostly measured head to heel.
- While baby's brain is not the same size it will be at birth, it does have the same structure. Weeks 12 to 18 is a major, critical period in baby's brain development. Alcohol, tobacco or drugs should be strictly avoided as they could have long-term affects on your baby.
- Baby has its reflexes and also practices movements in the digestive tract preparing on for an extrauterine life. Baby's intestines start contracting and relaxing, so they get lots of practice for healthy digestion when they are born, Bile beings to secrete.
- Baby’s heartbeat can be clearly heard on a Doppler and it sounds like horses. Baby can suck its thumb. Its eyelids will fully cover its eyes so they are well protected.
- Baby is now moving all the time, kicking and stretching, twisting and turning. But because it is still so small and your uterus is only just at the top of your pelvis, you still won't be able to feel its movement.
- Baby's bone marrow is starting to produce its own white blood cells; they are the infection fighting cells that helps the baby to stay well and healthy.
- Baby's placenta is now doing its all important work in filtering oxygen and nutrients to assist baby to grow. Baby's pituitary gland starts working and manufacturing its own hormones.
- Baby will grow to average length of about 2.13 inches or 5.4 centimeter Crown to Rump (CR) and weighs about 0.49 ounce or 14 grams towards the ends of this week.
|◄ Fetal Growth in Previous Week
|Fetal Growth Next Week ►
|Fetal Growth in ...